Saturday, August 07, 2004

Fresher than Fresh.

Living in a big city like Chicago, there are a plethora of activities to fill a weekend. The challenge is usually deciding which street festival, concert, play or bar to attend. To keep myself informed of all these events, I generally read the Friday section of Chicago Tribune; the Planner generally has a worthwhile overview of the events going on around Chicago over the next week. Among the typical concerts (Josh Groban) and book readings, I saw one event that immediately caught my attention -- "World Breastfeeding Month Celebration" at the Lincoln Park Zoo on Saturday. Since I can't find a link on the Tribune website for this, I will provide the Trib's analysis of the event:

"The Chicago Breastfeeding Taskforce celebrates this glorious month with a day of activities designed to promote the importance of mom's milk. Enjoy raffles, games and refreshments(!) while talking to representatives of local health departments, hospitals and community organizations about the benefits of breastfeeding."

It had to be a joke. "Games" and "refreshments" to support breastfeeding at the Zoo? Since children are likely reading this website, I won't spell out some of the thoughts that went through my mind. Are there races? Taste testing? You get the picture.

After spending hours doing research (well, twenty seconds thanks to Google), I discovered that this is in fact a legitimate event. According to the Chicago Breastfeeding Taskforce's website, August's event is just one of the many monthly events that the organization plans to support breastfeeding. Some of the organization's other events:

  • Herbs and Breastfeeding
  • Freedom to Breastfeed
  • Breastfeeding and the Holidays

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Saturday's celebration at the Zoo. If any of you are able to attend, pick up some refreshments for me. And I want to thank the Tribune for listing this as one of the 'must attend' events in Chicago for the weekend.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home