Sunday, August 01, 2004

Krupnik, Fireworks and Marionnettes

On Friday night, after a nice dinner at a Tapas restaurant, I went to a going-away party for a friend's co-worker. The host has lived and worked in Chicago for the past two years, on a exchange from Poland. We were served Krupnik, a Polish honey liquer. Apparently the host assumed that we were 'big' drinkers as she pours us half-full plastic cups of this stuff. Even upon sniffing it I was getting drunk. At first, Krupnik tasted sweet, until it hit your throat, when my throat began burning, and I could feel the flames work their way down into my stomach. After nearly finishing the cup out of respect of for the host, I took a look at the bottle. It was 80 proof - the same alcohol content as Jack Daniel's whiskey. Saturday was a painful morning for me...

Since I did not see fireworks this past July 4th for the first time since I was 3 years old, I went with some friends down to the Venetian Night on Chicago's Lakefront. I must say, it was a pretty darn good fireworks display. It was synchronized to music, though the $9.95 Radio Shack speakers attached to the light poles to broadcast the soundtrack really didn't make it more than five feet into the crowd. Aside from the poor sound, it was a great evening, only to be capped off with dessert at the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the John Hancock looking over the city lights.

Thought Fahrenheit 9-11 was the last of the political films before the November presidential election? Nope. Marionnettes have a starring role in "Team America: World Police" from the creators of Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of "South Park." (which, by the way, is in its eighth season.)

Roughing it at the Hilton: No wonder Nick Carter broke up with Paris after making her match her outfit with black and blue. (Editorial Note: As previously mentioned, I am not fond of Paris Hilton. However, anytime that she looks like a fool, I will be happy to report it here.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home