Tuesday, July 27, 2004

So, don't call them capris ...

Apparently, my blog posting on capris has created quite a stir, mostly by those who said they would never speak with me again if I wore capris.  I suppose I should hide the two pairs I purchased in France....

Why the outrage?  Why is it okay in Europe for men to wear 3/4rd length pants, but apparently a social taboo in the U.S.?  Personally, there are plenty of men who should wear capri pants rather than the too-short shorts that show off their ugly legs all over town.

Maybe it's the name.  Capri does sound very feminine, likes those long, skinny cigarettes that pseudo-sophisticated women smoke.  Three-quarters-length pants is too cumbersome.  Some options:

  • In-betweens
  • Messenger Pants (those are they only guys in the States who can legally wear them without a public beating)
  • NotQuites
  • Y-Nots ... why shouldn't you wear them?

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2004 at 11:14 AM, Blogger R-dogg said...

Just wanted to voice my opinion that capris are for the indecisive. Either you wear pants, or you wear shorts. Why do you need a third option? Stick to the tried-and-true basic two of men's legwear!

 
At July 30, 2004 at 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fairly sure that the term "capri pants" is an invention of the nineties. Didn't they used to be called pedal-pushers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home