Thursday, July 22, 2004

Numero Uno / Number One

A Blog.  Yes, I am starting a blog.  After secretly reading several blogs almost obsessively, I decided it was time for me to join the already overcrowded blog market.  Maybe this blog will cause blogging to jump the shark.   Let's hope not.

About the name...
For those of you unfamilar with 19th century American literature, Bartleby is a fascinating character from a Herman Melville short story aptly titled, "Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-street."  As a scrivener, which is a person who duplicates legal documents, Bartleby is stuck in a monotonous job that caters to the wealthy (e.g. lawyers and their clients).  One day, Bartley decides to refuse to work, and responds "I would prefer not to" his boss' requests.  This act of disobedience continues until Bartleby refuses to leave the office premises and is hauled off to jail for trespassing.   You should read the story to find out what happens.

Why did I pick it? 
Whether it's at work, with family or friends, or other times in my live that some things seem so tedious and boring, that Bartleby's infamous phrase "I would prefer not to" comes to mind.  While I certainly don't have anywhere near the drastic intentions that ended up causing the end of Bartleby (please, no interventions!), I decided to funnel some my untapped creative energy into ramblings on the web.  So, instead of taking cigarette breaks (since I don't smoke), or searching the internet (okay, I will still do that), I will be using this blog as my procrasination/motivation tool. 

What do I plan to post here?
Random thoughts, interesting things I read or hear, life's observations, social criticisms, movie reviews, location of weapons of mass destruction, etc.  Pretty much anything that's on my mind while I am writing.

Go ahead, read all you want.  I'll probably write more.

 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home